Saturday, January 16, 2010

How rare are black squirrels?

There's one I keep seeing around my yard. And I've never seen one around here before, I'm in Central New York.How rare are black squirrels?
The black squirrel you are seeing is probably a gray squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis). The color of gray squirrels can actually vary from almost white to completely black. The black ones are referred to as melanistic grey squirrels. Black grey squirrels are more common in some places than in others. Generally, the further north you go, the more often you see the black ones, until in parts of Canada the black ones actually outnumber the other colors. But they can occur anywhere in the gray squirrels range. I lived in Kent, Ohio for a while, where about two-thirds of the squirrels were either black or dark grey.





Fox squirrel (Scurrius niger) can also be melanistic. Both fox squirrels and gray squirrels would occur where you live, but fox squirrels would tend to be in wilder areas.How rare are black squirrels?
Never really considered it lol, But, Yes, so I hear they are somewhat rare. I think there's around 3 in my yard :)
i live in western new york and we are swamped with them. but apparently they are pretty rare.
I love black squirrels, but I've never seen them in real life.
  • makeup skin
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment