Saturday, January 16, 2010

Ever seen a black squirrel?

Whilst skiing at Serre Chevalier in the French Alps I saw what I would only describe as a black squirrel. This came out of the foliage in front of me and still to this day I continue to wonder whether it was a squirrel or not.Ever seen a black squirrel?
A black squirrel is one of nature’s great “gotcha” moments, as if something shaped like a squirrel couldn’t possibly be that color. Those who have never seen a black squirrel before often describe their first sighting as something magical. Some quite literally doubt their senses.Ever seen a black squirrel?
We've seen more and more black squirrels in Northern Indiana. I'm told they originated from Canada. They're pretty, but tend to take over the area they invade.
They are known as 'melanistic' squirrels - something to do with genetics and possibly interbreeding. The Botanical Gardens in Berlin has a number of them and they are are a very tame tourist attraction. Your eyes did not deceive you.


The only other possibility is that what you saw was a marmot - check out Google images to confirm this.
black rat with a wooly tail warmer on!!
Dont think ive seen a black one in my lifetime studies of coloured squirrels, I can positevely say though that in my lifetime, I have seen a ginger one and a lilac one, although im sceptical about the lilac one as it seemed as though someone had painted it, but it ran up a tree before I could confirm this...
yeah
yes we have seen them in Canada. Also have seen some in USA%26gt;
There are many around my place in Northern CA. They are simply dark brown in color vs. grey.
Come to Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire. They live here in abundance, The vermin!
YEP, I saw one in the QUAD at L.S.U. once.





We have both gray %26amp; fox squirrels. There is a melanistic phase of both.
yes, black squirrels are pretty common in Canada
I have only heard of red and grey squirrels. Bit of a sore point here in Scotland as the greys have over-run the red population and are spreading a virus which kills the red. The government have decided to introduce a culling policy on the greys to help the reds flourish.
Yep, David D is right. Go to Letchworth in Hertfordshire. It is the only place in England where you can see them living wild!
Probably just a big rat or a stoat of some kind.
Yes, there is one outside my window right now.


We have grey and black squirrels out here in Mountain View, California, USA.
Yea in the City, New York City, i've mostly seen them in the Bronx!
They are very common in Canada and the United States. These buggers are so numerous in the cities that many consider them pests, because they have a tendency of eating tulip bulbs and other plant seeds.
Only on one of Bill Oddies programmes on tv. I have seen a couple of white ones though. The white gene is in the population in sussex, but its an anti-survival colour and I think the local predators get them. They vanish after a few months.
no. i would like to see one but i never knew there was a black squirrel. have you?
I have seen black squirrels as well at white ones in southern Georgia and northern Florida.
no
Yup!! there are lots in Canada.
Maybe it was a mutant skunk, born without his go-faster stripes????
I bet it was different and ugly, how strange! I wouldn't like to see one
One came down my chimney last week.
Yes i have seen black,black and white and even flying squirrel.they live in different parts or us.some are very nice looking black with white tail.I think they live around colorado...
yes at night
Yes, the common gray squirrel of the United States sometimes occurs in a melanistic (black) phase. They are quite uncommon, but I have seen several.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment