Saturday, January 16, 2010

Black Squirrels in louisiana?

Im a big squirrel hunter but never seen one.. I wanna kill one but dont know where they are more common around here.. Does anyone knowBlack Squirrels in louisiana?
I've been hunting squirrels for over forty years here in Louisiana. I've never killed a black squirrel. I saw a couple in Honey Island once, a long time ago.





I grew up across from a pecan orchid, and gray squirrels were my daily fair for ages. Flying squirrel were common there too. (way too small to eat, and too cute too.)





I have relatives in Michigan, and see black squirrels at their feeders all the time. They get huge! I don't blame you for wanting one.





Good luck, and good hunting.Black Squirrels in louisiana?
The black squirrel of Louisiana is just a color phase that occurs on rare occasions in the fox squirrel population. When I would squirrel hunt on a regular basis, I would usually kill from 1- 3 black squirrels a year. There was one hunt in the Dewey Wills Wildlife Management area in central Louisiana that I killed 3 black squirrels in one hunt and saw a total of 5 altogether, but this was an oddity that occurred only once in many years of hunting.But when I lived farther south in the Covington area I also saw a few black squirrels when hunting. I have found that when you see or kill a black squirrel in an area of the woods, you will have a better chance of seeing one in that same area in later years. I would guess the genes were passed down in the genetic chain.Just keep hunting and sooner or later you will kill one. It's just that they only rarely show up and that makes it just a stroke of luck to kill one.
I have killed one many years ago in the basin, off of the I-10 whiskey bay exit, south of the interstate. (Probably 15 years, maybe more). Even when I hunted down there it was very rare to see a black squirrel. Maybe every other year.
Come North and West young man...
Very common in New England and Mid Atlantic states.
Thats probably a fox squirrel. Look in the piney woods areas.

2 comments:

  1. There's one that lives in the woods behind my house in Lafayette. He's cute to watch. I had never seen one before moving here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are currently showing up in Clear Creek and Fort Polk.

    ReplyDelete