Monday, January 18, 2010

Black squirrels in Toronto ... are they dangerous?

I was in Toronto last week and I saw lot鈥檚 of black squirrels and they looked scary! I live in San Francisco and most of the squirrels here are gray or red. My cousin who lives in Toronto said they can be really aggressive and even attack people and that the black squirrels keep the gray squirrels out of Toronto because they鈥榬e territorial ... is that true and are they really dangerous? Black squirrels in Toronto ... are they dangerous?
we have hundreds of black ones near our house and they act no different to any other squirrels





not dangerous at allBlack squirrels in Toronto ... are they dangerous?
Black squirrels are becoming more common in Canada than the gray variety, mainly because the black fur gives them a bigger advantage in the winter months. They can absorb more heat from the sun, making them less likely to freeze to death on really cold days.





Also, as your cousin mentioned, they tend to be a bit more territorial and aggressive, but usually this is directed towards other squirrels, not humans.





I have only ever heard of one case where a squirrel actually attacked a human, clawing and biting them. I believe that the victim was a Canada Post mailperson and it is suspected that they came too close to the squirrel's nest where it may have had its young.





I used to feed the squirrels peanuts in the shell in years past, and even had a squirrel sit on my chest and grab a peanut I was holding in my lips, so they are certainly not evil aggressive critters.





However, they can get a bit demanding if they are used to you feeding them. I had to stop feeding them at home when they started jumping onto my window ledge and hanging their little bodies spread-eagle from the wire screen waiting for us to give them food! A bit startling when you are not expecting it and suddenly something jumps up and on the window or door screen.
I have never been attacked nor threatened by a black squirrel. Nor heard any scary story about them.


Indeed most people are surprised when they see those black squirrels in Canada and I have heard that they drove the the grey and red ones away.





Don't worry !!!





But I would be careful of the raccoons though..they are pretty fearless and dangerous as well as rabid.





@greenback ..........there are LOADS of black squirrels in my area and my backyard is full of them............they have never even approached me !!! I hope you are joking !
I do not live in Toronto but I have black squirrels in my area, they are just like any other squirrel. Don't bother them and they will not bother you. I am also familiar with the grays and the reds...they all want to be left alone and allowed to do their thing...they are harmless.
LOL Too Funny


I feed squirrels by hand in some parks here and I NEVER had an aggressive reaction. Well Squirrels are squirrels so they fight with one another when they compete for food.


But Red, Grey or Black they re all the same.


I believe your cousins played a practical joke on you.



LOL.








They're only aggressive if they're in areas where dumb people hand feed them so they aren't afraid of people.
they have never tried anything funny with me lol
carry your keys in your hand as you walk around


if a squirrel comes towards you


jingle the keys


they will act as a repellent against most of these rabid animals


for the ones the keys don't repel


have a can of mace at your side


or maybe you can spray them with lysol


to protect yourself

No comments:

Post a Comment